Assistance League of Klamath Basin, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, provides new clothing and other services to families throughout the Klamath Basin. Members are all volunteers (no paid staff) and we fully fund our $150,000 yearly philanthropic programs through donations, fundraisers, estate sales, and grants. The organization began in 1986 and we are part of the national organization, Assistance League, that has been existence for over 100 years. For more information on us see the Overview Slide Show below.
Philanthropic Programs We Support
- Providing new clothing to more than 800 k-12 grade children in need through our primary philanthropic program, Operation School Bell®. Each child receives a new set of clothes worth $110-125. We spend over $100,000 each school year.
- Providing Caldecott and Newbery award winning books to 39 schools and 11 libraries.
- Painting large 16’ x 33’ US maps on the elementary school playgrounds for educational and game purposes
- Providing approximately 500 new or gently used books on “Make A Difference Day” (a national sponsored program by the Assistance League) to the SMART reading program for children needing special reading sessions.
- Supporting Marta’s House, a shelter for domestic abused women and children, with bus tokens, diapers, and wipes, Christmas gifts and books.
- Supporting Exodus House – A temporary shelter for homeless and runaway youths on probation and those waiting for foster care homes by providing clothing certificates, books and hygiene and laundry items.
- Supporting Citizens for Safe Schools – a non-profit organization providing programs to help school aged children who are at risk. They are placed with a one-to-one responsible adult mentor. We assist by providing clothing certificates for these students.
- Providing appropriate graduation clothing to high school seniors in need.
- Providing an all-day Winter Wonderland event in December, for families to enjoy live music, games, Santa, gift shop, cookies and drinks.
“Thank you sooo much for the Operation School Bell certificate for the clothing. My family is in a very difficult situation right now, and this is just what I have been praying for. I haven’t had new clothes in 2 years. This is such a beautiful and inspiring thing you do for the kids who have nothing. When my teacher called my name to receive this, my heart filled with joy. Now I won’t have to wear the 1 pair of jeans I own every day. You are a gold hearted person! May God bless you. Thank you for everything.”
“My mother is dead, my father is in jail and I am living with my sister. She doesn’t have any money to buy me clothes. Thank you.”
“Your program, Operation School Bell, is such a blessing to myself for my kids to have proper beautiful clothes is so appreciated.”
These are the types of letters we receive throughout the year from children, and parents.